Re: [MV] Make your own threadless M100 FENDER BOLTS!

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:03:12 -0600

>Go try it, and report back....but do it outside...or everything made of iron
>or steel in your entire shop will have a red fur coat on it in a few days.
>IT also attacks the steel in your bolts, going for the highly stressed parts
>like rolled or cut threads. It will leav ragged crystalline-looking threads
>that will fail right off when tightened. Some cold -headed fasteners will
>dissolve like alka seltzer. In addition, you'll never be able to rinse off the
>acid residue left over, without a sophisticated DI water rinse system. (look
>at your battery tray) The acid residue will make rust til the cows come home.

Well... for one thing battery acid is sulfuic not hyrdochloric. And for
another, I have done it to remove plating as well as to remove mill scale
with none of the ill effects that you stated. If you have ever heard of
pickled or de-scaled steel, this is what they do. But then your version of
the truth may vary.

je