Re: [MV] Lug nuts (Wheel Nuts) cross tightening

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:38:55 +0200

At 21.28 01/04/99 +0930, Douglas wrote:
>Alan
>
>To take this topic in another direction; I was always taught to tighten
>wheel nuts by first - loosely running them on by hand till they grabbed,
>then tightening them in a pattern which crosses from one side of the hub
>to the other. This is hard to describe whereas a picture is very clear.

>Regards
>Doug

April 2 1999

It is NOT hard to describe! This "was" the way here in Naples the tire
repair places used to mount the wheels many years ago...
Today, it is a big mess: they mount the wheels as you describe 1, 2, 3, 4...
When I try to explain the cross tightening they are shocked! "Why cross
tightening, what for? There is no reason to do it this way..."

Well, is this progress? Where is the GOOD old time?

Regards and
Keep Them Rolling!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A.