Re: [MV] Lug nuts (Wheel Nuts) cross tightening

Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:47:38 +1000 (EST)

Raimondo said:
> It is NOT hard to describe! This "was" the way here in Naples the tire
> repair places used to mount the wheels many years ago...
> Today, it is a big mess: they mount the wheels as you describe 1, 2, 3, 4...
> When I try to explain the cross tightening they are shocked! "Why cross
> tightening, what for? There is no reason to do it this way..."
> Well, is this progress? Where is the GOOD old time?

Well, here's my story :)
A couple of years ago I needed new 16 x 6 bar NDT bar treads all round
on my '44 GPW. A friend mentioned a tyre shop that had great prices in Ryde,
a Sydney suburb about 15km from my place. I took the jeep over one morning,
and drove in. The four guys on duty went "Cooooool!... a MASH jeep" and
with words to that effect, they poured all over it.
I told them what I wanted, and without having to mention "DON'T use the
air wrench!" *all four* of them got stuck into it with gusto... lifted on
jacks like a Formula-1 team, and to my great surprise they used good old
fashioned wheel braces to take the wheels off. Not long afterwards, the
wheels with new tyres went back on. They tightened them diametrically, and
really took some care. Exit one _very_ happy customer!

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au