[MV] RE:US Army Unimog???

Greg David (ict@best.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:55:49 -0700

The Unimog you probably saw is called an SEE, Small Emplacement Excavator,
based on an Unimog that was "assembled" by Case for the US military. (That's
how they get around the US made requirement) They generally are equipped
with a loader on the front and a back-hoe on the rear, although I have seen
a photo of one with a plow on snow duty in Bosnia.

You can learn more about Unimogs and the new Unimog Association of the
Americas at:
http://www.unimog.com/

I also find a cool video and pdf file of an SEE modified for remote control
excavation of explosive ordnance at
http://artemis.osti.gov/focus/evideos.html and
http://www.ornl.gov/orcmt/special/envtech.pdf
I guess this is another way they'll avoid surplusing the good stuff to the
public. Another creative way to spend money blowing things up.

Greg