Re: [MV] MB tail light socket

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:46:00 +0930

Josh

> Does anyone have or know where I can get the sockets that attach to the
> back of the tail light on a MB. I don't need the electrical contacts or
> wires. I just need the exterior metal part.

If you can't get these as a straight spare part (and I doubt you will, as
normally the whole light was supplied or just the sealed lens inserts)
then you will need to recover an old one.

Ask around other Jeep owners. Usually when a tail light shell is mangled
or very rusty the socket you are talking about is usable. They are soldered
into the shell and do take a bit of getting out. Nearly always are bent to
some degree and require careful straightening using a section of bar as a
mandrel.

I would tend to get them re-cadmium plated to improve the contact if used
on a 6V system, or perhaps get the whole unit done. You will need to
research how best to secure the socket into the shell if it has been
plated first. Whatever you do, don't fall for the trap of not electrically
grounding it to the shell.

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG