Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

Shane G Deemer (1sgd6508@unixstew.tstc.edu)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 22:01:52 -0500

Sir, I am not sure where you get your information from; I noticed some
errors in it.

>I was just in Texas doing business and saw truck loads of thease being
>hauled down there.

----------------------
Who exactly did you ask about this?

I ask about it and was told by someone who said he
>knew what seems to be happening.The first ones are just plain bad news
>and there is more problems then being reported

---------------------------
A stolen contract? I doubt that. Stewart & Stevenson has built a much
better vehicle than AM General. "FMTV costs nearly $5.00 per miles less to
operate than the existing antiquated fleet of M35 and M939 trucks. Overall,
FMTV is the most cost-effective tactical truck ever procured by the U.S.
military. "

its kind of a major
>secert as this contact was like stolen from AM General and others and

"Newsday questioned the company's experience assembling wheeled vehicles.
Stewart &
Stevenson has been assembling and manufacturing vehicles since World
War II, when the
company built and rebuilt trucks for the U.S. Army. In recent years,
the company has built or
assembled thousands of trucks, buses, airline ground support vehicles,
and tactical trailers for
U.S. and foreign customers. On the FMTV program, Stewart & Stevenson
assembles trucks
incorporating components manufactured by U.S. Army approved vendors
throughout the
United States. These components which represent about 80 percent of
the cost of a FMTV
are purchased from union and non-union suppliers. "

>given to a company who had no experance in building this type of
>thing.

-------------------------

Who exactly is this we?

"Most importantly, FMTVs currently being delivered to the Army far exceed
contractual
requirements in safety, reliability and performance. This fact is
supported by Army records
obtained in more than one million miles of testing conducted on FMTV
since program
inception in 1991. The consistent 98 percent availability rating
achieved in the field and the
8,000 miles between failures (against a requirement of 3,000) verify
this trucks superiority.
FMTV already has surpassed the capabilities of all previous Army
medium tactical truck
programs.

Strict quality safeguards are in place to prevent truck defects. The
FMTV facility in Sealy
assembles trucks at a quality rate of 99.96%, virtually error free on
the moving production
line. A recent independent ISO 9001 audit of Stewart & Stevenson's
system and processes
reconfirmed the quality certification. "

Stewart & Stevenson has a lot of experience in building these type of
vehicles, and they have been proven to be very reliable. What do you not
agree with?

Who know what is going on but we are getting screwed again like