Re: [MV] Normandy 1999

David Ross (ross@hypertools.com)
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:09:30 -0700

Dennis -

At 01:55 PM 04/08/99 +0200, buka@wxs.nl wrote:
>This year I'll go to Normandy, France to witness the D-day
>commemorations. I'll stay at a little town called Creully...

If you are interested in military radios, be sure to see the radio museum
in Creully. It is in the chateau (castle) there, and is run by a gentleman
who was active in the Resistance in WWII. The chateau itself is memorable
because it was the first studio used by the BBC in liberated France.

When I was there in '94 there were many working radios of WWII vintage,
including a 'high-power' U.S. field set which used a BC-191. This setup
was powered by the correct gasoline generator running next to the radio
(inside the chateau - exhaust piped out the window).
During the war, the museum's owner built a small radio to listen to the
BBC - that radio can be seen in the museum, along with the upside-down
bicycle & generator which powered it.
A lot of carrier pigeon related displays as well, and several releases of
pigeons throughout the day.
An interesting place - plan on one or two hours to see all the displays.

enjoy the show!
Dave Ross ross@hypertools.com