Re: [MV] Question on NDT tires

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:18:16 +0930

Cliff

> And as already has been noted, If left for long periods of time, blocking
> the axles to get the weight off the tires. (I use cross ties about 2 feet
> long for blocks and and stack them 2 or 3 high and they work great)

Sound advice. It is however better to jack the vehicle and put it on
blocks that bear on the chassis, if it is being laid up for an extended
period. On a leaf spring vehicle this does mean you
need 8 blocks (one at each end of the spring), this spreads the load
evenly.
Springs that are not being used do seem to loose there "set" over
time and by blocking under the axles you are saving the tyres but still
leaving the full weight of the vehicle on the springs.

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG