Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:08:11 -0500

>This would not be the first time the DOD bought a lemon. Remember the
>Sergeant York? Remember the Tiger Shark? Not every vehicle which enters
>the Army inventory becomes a legend.

Yes, and the DOD knew EVERYTHING about them from day one. It is amazing to
me how the DOD has escaped criticism while all the blame gets dumped on the
evil corporations. Same goes for the $600 hammer and the $1200 toilet seat,
there is much more to these stories and the pentagon was in on it from the
beginning. I was there, on the inside, observing this. We had 3500
employees. We had an entire office of DCAS people, these are essentially
DOD civilian employees who's job it is to look at, over, under, and around
anything and everything you are doing. Not to mention the scores of
uniformed personell from the applicable branches (army, navy, air force)
that come in and look over the programs on regular intervals. I was in
engineering so I saw this mostly from that angle but it applied to the
entire company. Anyway, point is, don't be so quick to blame contractors
(as the press does) there is always alot more to the story and the DOD's
fingerprints are all over all of them.

je