Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

Shane G Deemer (1sgd6508@unixstew.tstc.edu)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:22:44 -0500

This is a temporary problem. It is been fixed as we speek.

>You mean to tell me that the truck can't be driven for long periods of
>time faster than 44 mph?

It is governed at 58 mph, like all other army vehicles.

>That being the case, just how fast is the truck designed to be run at for
>long periods of time?

The Army cannot purchase foreign vehicles, and the ISUZU truck it not as
rugged or durable as a S&S FMTV is. It is limited to mostly onroad driving,
the FMTV, on the other hand, can go a lot further offroad than the Isuzu.

>This is my perpective: if an ISUZU cabover 2 1/2 ton truck can maintain
>65-70 mph forever until it runs out of fuel and cost about 35K, and a
>specially designed 2 1/2 ton truck is made for on and off road work and
>costs 80-100K or more, then wouldn't the typical person expect it to be
>able to maintain well over 45 mph indefinitely? I would.

Getting a M35 to maintain speeds above 50 mph is tough, the FMTV can do
that very easily, and will be allowed to, as soon as all the defective
pieces are replaced.

>Also, the M35 basic design (chassis) was created sometime just after WW2,
>now it's 50 years later and the new truck is slower than the old truck?
>This just doesn't make sense.

The HUMMV is goverened at 58 mph, as are all military vehicles.

--
-Shane

****************************** Military Rails Online http://www.e5e.com/militaryrails ******************************