Re: [MV] M37 WONT STAR, NEED SOME IDEAS

James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:25:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent McClearen <brent@multipro.com>
To: MILITARY FORUM <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Sunday, April 11, 1999 6:06 PM
Subject: [MV] M37 WONT STAR, NEED SOME IDEAS

>LIST,
>GOT AN M37 THAT DOESNT WANT TO START. IT SAT IN A BARN FOR TWO YEARS, BUT
>RAN GOOD PRIOR TO THAT. HERES WHAT IVE DONE SO FAR:
>
>1. NEW BATTERIES
>2. CLEANED ALL BATTERY CONTACTS
>3. FLUSHED GAS TANK, ADDED NEW FUEL
>4. PUT OIL IN THE CYLINDERS.
>5. CLEANED ALL PLUGS AND WIRE TIPS.
>6. NEW DISTRIBUTER CAP AND BUTTON
>7. CLEANED COIL CONTACTS
>8. SANDED POINT IN DISTRIBUTER
>9. CHECKED FUEL FLOW TO CARB (PLENTY OF FUEL)
>10. ADDED STARTING FLUID
>11. CHECKED VOLTAGE AT WIRE TO COIL, 24 VOLTS STRONG
>12. PULLED NO. 1 PLUG AND CHECKED FOR FIRE, NONE WAS THERE
>13. GAVE UP AND STARTED SCRAPING OFF BUMPER STICKERS!
>
>WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT? A NEW COIL? COMPLETE CARBURETOR REBUILD? HELP!
>
>THANKS, BRENT brent@multipro.com

Pull the distributor cap and check to see if the points are opening. If not
adjust per manual, if you don't have one of those handy or a set of point
gauges grab a book of matches and use the cover as a gauge to set the points
(old timers point gauge works great and if properly done will set USED
points to .018. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
(N1VBN is my Ham Radio callsign)
n1vbn@wb1dsw.nh.usa.noam