Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

Ken (kweiss@wans.net)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:45:37 -0600

Jonathon, list,

I must disagree to some extent with your #2 answer. This may hold true for
today's vehicles but, not long ago....

The first military vehicles in World War II were mostly civilian vehicles
"converted" to military use. I.E. painted green and given blackout lights.
Someone on the list may know more but, I think that up till 1942 most of the
vehicles were closed cab because they were converted civilian vehicles. It
wasn't till after 1942 that the military started to receive mil-spec
vehicles from manufactures. Again, I could be wrong but, that's what I've
been told and heard over the years. The jeep may have been one of the first
ground up, starting from scratch designed, wheeled vehicles specifically
designed for the military as a tactical vehicle during World War II. I am
aware that there were experiments with wheeled armored vehicles in the first
World War. I believe that these too, were based on civilian vehicles that
were field modified to help the infantry and were not specifically designed
as such.(I.E. climb a 60% grade, forge 30 inches of water, or whatever the
specifications might be.) Again, I may be wrong.

Ken Weiss
1953 XM211 2 1/2 ton troop/cargo truck "Deuces are Wild"
1954 XM105E3 1 1/2 ton cargo trailer
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, and Webmaster
Lone Star MVPA and "The Transfer Case"
Check out our new web site
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/4393/index.html