Re: [MV] RE new mil trucks and WW2 trucks

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:58:26 -0500

At 09:23 AM 4/20/99 +1000, Bruce Gilbert wrote:

> Governments
>must take into account the various civilian regulations that govern vehicle
>safety generally, particularly in the disposal of vehicles. This themes was
>covered in recent demil emails a month or so ago in this forum about
>older-style US (151) jeeps.

This has always mystified me. Why must they? After all, they write the
laws. It would be easy to add a rider to every such bill: "Military
vehicles are exempt."

Now, I do NOT advocate a government that's above the law, but when the laws
stand in the way of military capability, as they sometimes do, then the law
should change. Our militaries are sufficiently hampered by their
circumstances as it is without lading them with additional burdens.

How does this apply to MVs? Well, the M-151 was not "safe," right?
Sufficiently unsafe that we are prevented from buying/using them on the road
without going to extraordinary lengths.

How much longer before the M-35s and the like end up in the same category?

Wheels within wheels, folks, and no mistake.

Steve Allen