[MV] RE: Deuces

Bennett, Michael (MAB5@pge.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:20:30 -0700

>> Are you interested in something modern and complicated or older and
>> simpler?

> Yes, to both. I want a big all wheel drive vehicle, but don't know much.
> Some of my friends drove deuces in the Army, so that's where I am
> beginning, but am willing to look at all options. What do you have in
mind?

Henry,

Well, (in an over-simplified manner) you've got 3 basic categories of deuces
used by the US military: W.W.II, post W.W.II, and current. The best advice
I can give you is to get a copy of Fred Crimson's book "US Military Wheeled
Vehicles" (check the MVPA website) and start reading. I'm sure you will
spend many hours reading it and re-reading it like I have. It is a great
book which has a tremendous section on 6x6's. The W.W.II and post W.W.II
stuff is basically simple to work on, uses gas engines, has kind of
"classic lines", but is not very tolerant of being overloaded. The current
stuff is more complicated, generally uses diesel or "multifuel" engines, has
a very "brutish" look, and is much more forgiving of being overloaded. Now
if your deuce needs to be amphibious, let's get together and talk DUKW's !
(major grunting in the background) :)

Happy hunting!

Mike Bennett 75 Land Cruiser 44 DUKW
Fresno, CA
Four wheel drive just means I get stuck in more inaccessible places