Re: [MV] RE new mil trucks and WW2 trucks

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:36:26 -0400

"William R. Benson" wrote:

> It makes matters worse that I have a licence to drive
> military 1/4 ton trucks (jeeps) as well as Humm-Vees, but because some
> idiot decided that he was going to hot rod around and roll himself into a
> little jeep colored ball, those of us with a passion for the green painted
> beasts have to jump through flaming hoops to aquire the object of our
> affections (both military trained operators, and those who have enough
> horse sense to drive within the safety parameters of our MVs).

Some of these are the same idiots who periodically advocate the use of
seatbelts on motorcycles. Don't these #%&@! people ever give up? (to paraphrase
the good Colonel)

In a similar vein, I also once spent a half an hour patiently trying to explain
to the nice constable that no, this 1953 M38A1 didn't come with seatbelts, and
no, it never had a roll bar, and yes, it was actually a lot of fun to drive,
and no, sir, I mean yes sir, I'm really careful. He was mystified as to why I
should be permitted on the road, never mind why I should want to drive such a
thing... let me go in the end though, but I'll bet it caused him a lot of
sleepless nights...

> ... tap your foot four times, and say, "I wish I were back at Padia
> Beach."...

Works for me with CMPs (although usually with the application of liberal
quantities of beer)... :-)

> .......................(For instance, when you
> remove the trigger assembly of an M-16A2, if you're not careful, there's
> this really neat explosion of springs and detent pins that occurs, which
> isn't half as funny as when your buddy does it because you're not supposed
> to take that part out in the first place.)

*LMAO*

I once lost an FN FAL main hammer spring in my own living room that way...
never did find it even when we moved...

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://jump.to/mapleleafup ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~