Re: [MV] My new tracked toy...

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:13:03 -0500

>Its been my expernance that you can only regester a track vehicle the
>drive on the road is that it has to steer from tires (i.e. halftrack).

I think you can go further than this also. It must have a direct mechanical
connection between the steering wheel and the axle. Where I worked before
we put the same turrets and weapons systems on V100's and Dragoons (6x6
version of V-100) that we put in the M113's. These had full hydraulic
steering, no actual mechanical link. We (civilians) could not drive these
on the road to one of the remote test sites. We had to have someone from
the Army come over and do the actuall on road driving. The guy was kind of
cool. One of our guys asked him about the legalities, as he was prepared to
hire a flat bed to haul it. The army guy said "f&$@ the cops, were the US
Army, we can drive anything anywhere we want to".

je