Re: [MV] 2 1/2 tons

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:12:30 -0500

>i wouldn't be surprised if the perkins turned fasted, hence the higher
>hp, but what about torque ??

Max rpm is 2800, I think the torque on my 185 hp one is 400 something. The
300 hp version is for marine use. My quess is that it must be reliable at
that HP as it is close to 100% duty cycle and blowing a motor in a boat is
not something anyone is going to tolerate.

>the ldt at 9 psi boost = almost 1000 F
>exhaust temp. getting close to the limit

The guy I buy parts from (a Perkins dealer in CA) said he can set up a turbo
to get that 300hp in a truck and keep the exhaust temp under the magic
number, says it's all a matter of the correct cartridge, turbine housing and
compressor housing (three seperate entities). He does that engineering
himself as the turbo companies will only sell you something that THEY have
come up with.

(I just lost your last comment about the 465 being weak)

It has always struck me odd that the LDT465 should do more than it does
given it's size, maybe it's a weak design or maybe they just keep it's
rating low. Since most Diesels are rated at 100% duty cycle (something
gas/car engines wouldn't even dream of trying) it would seem to me that
there is allot of room to do some experimenting.

je