Re: [MV] ANZAC Day

Bruce Gilbert (b.gilbert@uws.edu.au)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:35:00 +1000

***********
Bill Benson

What marvellous words you send to us over here.

Anzac Day in Sydney was great. Although I did not serve, many of my mates
from my Army Reserve days saw action in Vietnam. It was great to see them
again this year.

For those in the USA, Canada and England, as well as other countries, pleae
be assured and proud that each of your countries are always greatly
represented, and appreciated, in probably all Anzac Day marches in the
majority of Australian (and no doubt New Zealand) capital cities.

I did not know about the place of Waltzing Matilda being the official song
of the First Marine Division (U.S.). Perhaps you can let us know the
history of that status of one of our national songs.

On 1 July 1998 Australia held its inaugural Reserve Forces day, and there
was a gret turnout. It will become an annual event. A great sight was the
contingent of Yank reservists who were flown over here in a Galaxy to march
in Sydney, Brisbane and elsewhere. Their presence was warmly welcomed by
one and all.

As a bit of interest, I have provided the webpage of the Sydney Morning
Herald for Monday 26 April, the day after Anzac Day, for your perusal. I
have also provided a weblink to 1999 Anzac Day activities, history, etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/9904/26/index.html

http://www.acn.net.au/articles/1998/04/anzac.htm

At last count, there were 51 WWI (1914 - 1919) diggers still alive in
Australia.

Watching the recent news of the Nato 50th anniversary, I could not help
wonder if the vast majority of the world leaders were women, would there be
any better chance or reduction of all this killing in Europe, Indonesia, etc.

What ever happened to the "World to end all Wars" ?

LEST WE FORGET