Re: [MV] Chinese Military Motorcycles

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:24:11 -0400

up to
>about '70s technology. The Chinese ones I saw were just poor knock offs
>of the '40s BMW.
> Maybe "new"" Chinese M/C's are better than the ones I have
>encountered. However, I have yet to see anything from China that is of
>superior quality. Firearms, for instance are of lesser quality, but do
>work.

I remember hearing this somewhere in the past, about Japanese manufacturing
prior to WWII.
I wouldn't want to judge a country with a gigantic growth economy on their
products ten or even five years ago. Could you even imagine the achievments
by US aircraft manufacturers during WWII by looking at what they produced in
1932? China is having its own Industrial Revolution right now, and is
certainly aiming at international markets. The US, Japan, and Western
Europe are their biggest competitors. And through competition comes
excellence. I would expect that motor transportation is high on the list of
priorities in development, due to the growth of population and consequent
market in Asia.
Beware the new sleeping giant.