Re: [MV] M38 Body inset for gas neck

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 2 May 1999 21:32:25 EDT

Phil wrote:
>I'm wondering what kind of bearing is in the top of the
>steering column; sintered bronze??

My M38 had a mulit-part ball-bearing at the top end of the steering column.
I found there is a internal c-clip holding the top race in place. Pull the
column off the steering shaft, remove that c-clip, and pull out the top race
and catch the bouncing BBs! Then you can clean everything real good, schmear
grease all over the bottom race, and "plant" the BBs back into place (grease
holding them till you lower the top race back in and insert the c-clip).

The top bearing was easy - getting the parts for a rebuild of the steering
gear was tougher. I did it and the steering is better. Not great, just
better.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com