Re: [MV] oil looks white

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Mon, 03 May 1999 13:44:08 -0700

jonathon wrote:

> > The oil on my LD465 looks white when i take my oil fill cap off the
> >oil level does not show over the fill mark and the water is not low does
> >anyone know what this could be
>
> My fork truck does this. It gets very little use and it seldom ever gets
> used enough to get the oil hot. It is (in my case anyway) water that has
> emulsified with the oil. I'm told that running the engine for a long period
> of time will boil the water out of it. Never tryed it, we just change it
> once a year. Does not seem to harm anything.

As describe above, this is correct. An eng that is run for short periods
will definetly show this milky white in the oil system. An anti-freeze leak can
do the same! Best to find a leak would be to pressurize the coolant system (with
out the eng running), and let sit for about an hour or two. Then pull the oil
pan drain plug & see if you find any coolant at the plug (the coolant will sink
to the bottom, & oil will float on top). This should work, and is what I would
do. If no coolant is present (barring a leak when eng is at operating temp) then
its probably just from not getting the eng up to operating temp. You can easily
get rid of the goo by dumping in a quart of Marvel Mistery Oil, run it for a
couple of hours & then change the oil. I know there are others that cringe at
adding oil additives, and I'm one also, but I do this religously on my veh's
and it does work. In the future, make sure to let it get up to full temp & run
it for a while.

Just my two cents worth, sorry for being winded.

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437