[MV] RE Trailer

Bob Klein (bob@campingworld.com)
Wed, 05 May 1999 09:46:16 -0500

I towed an empty M105 1 1/2 trailer with my '98 Ford F150 approximately
25 miles
and loaded with pumpkins 25 miles back. The tow rating for my pickup is
about
6,000 lbs. I was sure it was at that weight coming home. On the way up
there with
an empty trailer, I could feel that thing behind me. It is a heavy
trailer. On
the way back with the pumpkins, I made sure of my stopping distance by
testing
the brakes with a landmark on the side of the road to judge my stopping
power. I
did pretty good. I had no hookup to the brakes on the trailer. I took it
really
slow and it towed just fine. My pickup sits up pretty high and the
trailer was
really balanced and level. The trailer was the same width as my truck
and there
was no trailer fishtailing. Use your judgment on towing on the highways
at high
speeds. I was pretty much on country roads. The bigger the truck towing
the
better.

bob klein
bob@campingworld.com