Re: [MV] Reality Check

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Wed, 05 May 1999 10:16:59 -0500

With all due respect, Julian, I think your check bounced.

At 09:47 AM 5/5/99 -0400, Julian Burke wrote:
>Perhaps it is time for a "reality check". And I quote from the text I read
>today; "I am used to buying $500 jeeps, and this one is over $2000, is it
>worth it?". Well, I used to buy '55 Chevrolet Convertibles for $300. I
>also used to buy '66 Mustang Convertibles for $300. And they were nice ones
>too. I think it's time for some of the "Dreamers" as they are called to
>wake up and REALIZE that these vehicles haven't been made in over 50 years
>and that NO MORE are being manufactured. Does anyone know that this is
>1999? Furthermore, you think these are "expensive" today, just you wait 10
>years and beyond when there will be future generations that want them.

Sure, prices have gone up, especially as more folks come in to the hobby.
Nevertheless, one can bemoan the change without being a "dreamer."

>have noticed many people writing in asking how to buy duece and half trucks
>and what to look for in buying them from DRMO's. I have to think that if
>you ask these types of questions, more than likely, these are not the types
>of vehicles you should be looking for. I'm really surprised that someone
>hasn't written in to ask where they can buy a $44 jeep-brand new in the
>crate. I'm really surprised!

If someone is unfamiliar with a vehicle, getting the advice on specifics to
look for is simply good policy. The whole point of this list is to enable
all to partake of the experience gained by each.

Consider your examples. Someone who has gone through the DRMO purchase
proces no doubt has gained knowledge about that transaction that would
benefit others. And some one who knows which seal tend to go bad or what
specific parts are hard to replace on a duece could well give someone who's
never hod one before warnings about what to avoid. Trail and error is a
good teacher, but it takes time and money to go to that school. Why not ask
a less demanding teacher?

Personally, I'm pretty sharp when it comes to some vehicles--I've made my
way through several--but I'd sure as heck be willing, no, EAGER, to listen
to any advice someone may have who knows more than I do about any particular
one. I know what the limits to my knowledge are (more or less), and I'm
always seeking to learn more. It may be that I will some day know it all,
but, until then, I'll be happy to learn from others, even by abasing myself
to ask questions.

In any case, I'm not sure that there is any need to attack others.

Steve Allen