Re: [MV] '43 GPW Brake problem

Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Wed, 05 May 1999 17:02:51 GMT

Dean,
I think that you'll find that your problem is due to corroded brake
wheel cylinder pistons and a total brake restoration is in order. I have
worked on at 4 jeeps and every one had corrosion in the wheel cylinders.
The sure cure is to have them sleeved with brass inserts, but at least,
they should be replaced. I also replace the brake lines as they are
usually full of rust also. When I do these brake jobs I remove
everything including the backer plates. That way you can clean,
sandblast, and repaint everything before reassembling. It's also a lot
easier to disassemble and reassemble the brakes when they are sitting on
a workbench. Needless to say, have the drums turned while you're at it.
You shouldn't have a problem with the driving flange, usually a few taps
with a hammer and they come off. Your biggest problem will be with the
large hub nut unless you get the large socket wrench. I suggest you get
the socket from one of the MV suppliers.
Good Luck,
Buzz