RE: Re: [MV] A DUCK'S SAD TAIL

islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Wed, 5 May 1999 18:03:07 -0400

Hi Frank,

>But the policy was not inforced till a few months ago. I know that 3 years
>ago we brought in 3 40 mm borfors(?) guns and several duce and a half trucks
>from Norway to Memphis. Also Memphis Equipment brings them in.

Yes I know. And to some extent I agree. However, I place blame on those
who create stupid rules/laws, not the folks that enforce them. They are
just trying to do their jobs. If a rule/law is passed into effect it
should be enforced, or it shouldn't have been drawn up in the first place
and therefore should be revoked. If the people in the Reagan Admin
hadn't come up with this idiotic ruleg I don't think there would be the
importation ban we see before us.

My larger point is that the vast majority of our country's decisions are
made by bureaucrats, not by elected officials. Clinton probably never
heard about this ban before it went into effect (if he has even heard
about it now), therefore to label this as a "Clinton is after my BLANK"
problem is not going to get us anyplace. Anybody who thinks that the
President has time to run this country from the ground up has obviously
never been in a senior management position in any decent sized
corporation. The higher up you go, the less you know about the day to
day workings. This is the way our country runs, and it is in fact they
ONLY way it can run. So portraying this as one man's cause to ruin our
hobby is really not helpful, no matter how much Clinton is despised. It
also makes people (like my wife and most of my friends <g>) think we are
all militant nuts with a sizable touch of paranoia tossed in :-)

Now, having said all that, I think the current set of bureaucrats (many
of which probably served under Reagan too) would have done the people of
this country a greater service by striking the rule instead of enforcing
it. Just as the FDA would have done better service to our people's
health by banning a particular food additive that all other
industrialized nations banned because of its link to cancer. What is
happening to the MV hobby is not unique, and although unfair and
senseless, not unusual. But it doesn't come from one person with the
title of President.

Steve