RE: Re: [MV] A DUCK'S SAD TAIL

T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Thu, 06 May 1999 09:33:41

Hello Steve:

>However, I place blame on those
>who create stupid rules/laws, not the folks that enforce them.
>If the people in the Reagan Admin
>hadn't come up with this idiotic ruleg I don't think there would be the
>importation ban we see before us.

Don't agree with..... "I don't think there would be the importation ban we
see before us."
I'm sure that Mr. Gore would present the "global warming" argument as it
pertains
to vehicles, and Mr. Clinton's, passing laws so that you feel good or at
least presenting the appearance of "doing something"; the argument..."you
don't realy need that" comes to mind.

>My larger point is that the vast majority of our country's decisions are
>made by bureaucrats, not by elected officials. Clinton probably never
>heard about this ban before it went into effect (if he has even heard
>about it now), therefore to label this as a "Clinton is after my BLANK"
>problem is not going to get us anyplace. Anybody who thinks that the
>President has time to run this country from the ground up has obviously
>never been in a senior management position in any decent sized
>corporation.

True, BUT! we do tend to recruit mirror images of ourselves.

>The higher up you go, the less you know about the day to
>day workings. This is the way our country runs, and it is in fact they
>ONLY way it can run. So portraying this as one man's cause to ruin our
>hobby is really not helpful, no matter how much Clinton is despised.

True...Mr. Clinton could care less about the MV hobby. He is busy feeling
somebody
elses paint. No money for him.

>It also makes people (like my wife and most of my friends <g>) think we are
>all militant nuts with a sizable touch of paranoia tossed in :-)

They simply can't help themselves. Propaganda.
My wife and I believe the reverse, its their paranoia...sizable touch of
paranoia tossed in:-)

Please, no offense intended. This is only a friendly discussion, we are
covering alot of territory here.

>Now, having said all that, I think the current set of bureaucrats (many
>of which probably served under Reagan too) would have done the people of
>this country a greater service by striking the rule instead of enforcing
>it.

It is up to us to keep a line of communications open to our elected officials.
I reside in NY and "feel" that in the US Senate, I have no
representation. BUT I do write to them nevertheless. I can always hope
for rationality and not for knee jurk legislation. Resulting legislation or
even their agendas do trickle down to the lower levels of bureaucracies that
you are referring to. (Opps....did I do a REAGAN?)

>Just as the FDA would have done better service to our people's
>health by banning a particular food additive that all other
>industrialized nations banned because of its link to cancer. What is
>happening to the MV hobby is not unique, and although unfair and
>senseless, not unusual.

At best it is benign neglect.
The MV hobby is not important to these people....NO MONEY for them.

We need to communicate with our officials, and yes, show support when we can,
otherwise, we will be legislated out of exsistence so that
society will "feel good".

>But it doesn't come from one person with the
>title of President.

Nahhh...did that one.

Best wishes Steve,

Ted H.