RE: [MV] Reality, M715

Denall, Mike (mike.denall@lmco.com)
Thu, 06 May 1999 06:55:27 -0700

I am considering the purchase of an M715 for $5K here in Washington.
Where could I obtain more information on the use, and kinks of this type of
vehicle?
I really like this "neat" truck that's available. ( 1967, original engine,
soft top, tools, etc.)

Mike D.
MVPA 19626

-----Original Message-----
From: jwinne@nettally.com
Subject: Re: [MV] Reality

At the risk of belaboring the point, I must add that we are not born
with information on special purpose vehicles nor are we all born with common
sense. The only way we gain knowlege is to ask questions of people who are
experienced with the equipment and this list has an abundance of knowledge
of all aspects of the subject. An example, from personal experience, is the
M-715 series truck I bought a couple of years back. I took a chance and
bought one even though I couldn't find any information on them or where to
get parts. It was asking "stupid questions" to the kind and patient folks
on this list that allowed me to find sources of info and parts. I made
contacts that quickly got me up to speed on the quirks and peculiarities of
this series of vehicle. There are plenty of guys on the list, ex motorpool
sargents, that will tell you just what you are getting yourself in for if
you buy that "neat truck" you asked about. The youngster who potentially
buys a Deuce and a half and goes out unprepared and runs over some one could
more easily go buy a used Mustang GT and let that High output 302 get away
from him and cause an equally bad tragedy. As for common sense, it seems to
come with experience. When a person comes to the realization that his
knowlege base is a little weak then he is ready to seek the experiences of
others. Due to the input from all of the list members that have helped me
with my first personal military vehicle, I have confidence in the truck and
what it can and can't do. I now know how to handle all sorts of problems
including total brake failure (which happened once without any tragic
results).
With gratitude to the members of the list,
Jim 1967 M-715 Kaiser Jeep cargo truck
1983 M-101A1 cargo trailer (USMC)