Re: [MV] FORD GPW Electrical Problem

Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 10 May 1999 08:19:21 +0100

Hi Steve and List

Many thanks for the Advice - Battery Duly replaced and Jeep running nicely
again.

The ever-growing toolbox now has a Multi-meter and a Hydrometer.... whatever
next...

Cheers

Tim
----- Original Message -----
From: <SBJohnston@aol.com>
To: <tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk>
Sent: 06 May 1999 23:51
Subject: Re: [MV] FORD GPW Electrical Problem

>To my mind the battery must be the problem...

It is easy to check the battery. Put a DC voltmeter across the terminal
posts and measure the voltage with all jeep equipment OFF. On a good
battery, it should be about 6.4 or so. A bad battery (or a discharged
battery) will read much lower, say below 5.0. Even if the voltage is OK
with
no load, now turn on the headlight and see how much the voltage sags under
the load. If it drops a lot, say below 4.5, I'd say the battery is bad.

But don't overlook the possibility that the charging system is not charging
the battery properly... Start the engine and see what voltage is across the
battery. It should be somewhere around 6.9 - 7.2 or so at medium thottle,
maybe higher. But if it is not much more than the engine-off voltage, then
the battery is low because the generator/regulator is not charging it.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com