[MV] Wankel rules

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 13 May 1999 11:11:12 +0200

Stephen Somers schrieb:
> Andreas Mehlhorn schrieb:
> > - Always looking for the engine first, Wankel rules! -
>
> Have you seen a Deltic (locomotive) engine? Now *that* would be=20
> interesting under the bonnet, I think! And no dodgy carbon seals!

What is a Deltic locomotive engine? A steam motor? Let me know more!

And apex seals made from carbon are out of production since the=20
middle of the 60s.

In my HERCULES (DKW) W2000 motorbike engine and in my KMS4 chainsaw
there were cast iron apex seals (material like the normal piston rings).
The RO 80 car and the SUZUKI RE5 have apex seals made from special=20
sintered metal (powder metal). They last much longer than the old
carbon apex seals.

But note, the good old carbon apex seals had one big advantage:
When they were worn out, you had to open the engine and fit new
ones. That was all. There was no wear on the (much more expensive)
surface of the rotor housing. The modern metal apex seals last=20
much longer, but when they were worn out, the surface of the rotor
housing is worn out, too.

Best regards
Andreas

Best regards