Re: [MV] M-37 carb rebuilding problem!

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Sun, 16 May 1999 11:37:31 -0600

Brent,

If either of the steel check-valve balls are stuck, it's probably due to some
combination of dried residue and/or corrosion. If solvent soaking hasn't helped,
it's probably mostly due to corrosion.

I'd resist the temptation to soak it in any kind of acid solution, since it can
quickly eat the mostly-zinc (highly reactive) carb body casting. Instead, I'd
suggest finding a steel punch with a flat tip, carefully placing it against the
steel ball, and giving it a light tap. Most of the time, this will crush the
corrosion products a bit and loosen the grip on the steel ball. Then re-try the
application of compressed air at the appropriate point.

After removing the steel ball, there is a good chance that the mating surface of
the check valve in the casting is somewhat rough. One approach to resurfacing it
is to epoxy an old steel ball of an appropriate size to the end of a rod, apply
a drop of valve lapping compound to the steel ball, and gently rotate the ball
in the seat just enough to clean up the surface. If you really want to get
fancy, you could use three steel balls of slightly varying diameters to produce
a kind of "three-angle" valve job on the check valve seat. This latter bit is
overkill, perhaps, but it may appeal to some of the more detail-obsessed folks
among us.

Remember that there are two of these ball check valves for the accelerator pump.
One is located at the bottom of the pump well and the other is outside the pump
well, under a brass plug. Both of these have to be free and must seat properly
in order for the accelerator pump to work well and deliver a full charge of
fuel.

Have fun,

Alan