[MV] Wankel rules

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:36:03 +0200

At 08.06 17/05/99 -0700, Steve wrote:
>The Deltic is a two-stroke diesel engine which has three long cylinders
>positioned
... snip ...
are *two* pistons, head-to-head, that move >back and forth together but
with one lagging behind the other. There are >no valves but one cylinder
periodically covers the inlet port and the >other the exhaust port.

>Operation is that one piston uncovers the inlet port when the other
>piston is at top and the fuel/air mixture is blown/drawn into the
... snip ...
>cylinder. The inlet piston is then driven down to compress the mixture
>which ignites, driving the exhaust piston down until it uncovers the
Each cylinder is arranged such that it operates one
>third of a cycle away from the other two to give continuity of function
>to its partners.
>
>OK, that is one section through the engine, and there are a total of
>eight similar sections, making a total of 24 cylinders giving
>near-continuous power output.
>
>Impressive, huh?
>
>--
>Steve Somers

May 17 1999

Hi Steve!

Yes! Impressive!
At first glance I had the feeling that you were not describing an engine
but a... Gatling Gun (or Vulcan, if you prefer!).

Regards,

Raimondo - M.V.P.A.