Re: [MV] M-37 Carb balls are unstuck!

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Mon, 17 May 1999 08:38:20 -0600

Hi Brent,

Glad to hear you got the ball unstuck. One thing though...

The other check valve ball IS removable for servicing. It is under a plug, but
it's a screw-in brass plug. Both of the check valve balls must be free and seat
correctly for the accelerator pump to work properly.

The way it works is that when the accelerator pump plunger rises, the check
valve between the plunger and the nozzle (discharge check valve) closes and the
vacuum that builds up under the plunger sucks fuel through the inlet check valve
(open) into the pump well. Then, when you step on the throttle and the plunger
descends into the pump well, the inlet check valve closes and the pressure under
the plunger forces the fuel through the discharge check valve (open).

It's kind of hard to see minute detail in the drawing in my article (it was
clearer in the original magazine article), but If you look closely at the
exploded diagram, it shows the removable plug above the other ball check valve
(see items KK, JJ, and HH). This is the discharge check valve.

Be careful not to lose the little spring when you unscrew the plug.

Anyway, good luck with the overhaul.

Alan