Re: [MV] Driving in Oz

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 20 May 1999 19:20:16 +0200

NIGEL HAY schrieb:
> Did you know that the driving test in India involves driving
> 800yards round the block, not neccesarily in the view of the
> examiner?
> NIGE

As far as I know, it is not better in some states of the USA.

But it doesn't matter. A lot of countries made a contract in
1928 (renewed 1934 and 1968) to acknowledge the driving licenses
of the other countries.

So you can drive to (nearly) each country in the world with your
local home made driving license.

In Germany the driving test for cars is 45 minutes. The examiner
(that's my job) sits in the back of the car and gives the commands
where to go (next left etc.) On the co-drivers seat sits a driving
teacher. He has double pedals, so he can brake, clutch and
accelerate, too.

50 % of the 45 minutes should be driven in town, 50 % out of town,
including the Autobahn with up to 80 mph.

Car driving license was good for any vehicle up to 7.5 metric tons
permissible total weight, since 1999 only up to 3.5 tons.

The old problem was: Everyone, who has made his driving license on
a normal car was licensed to drive as a maximum a 7.5 ton truck with
a 11 ton trailer, but this is over since 1999.=20

Best regards
Andreas