Re: [MV] OD paint

Roger and Marie Roy (rroy@netspeed.com.au)
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:18:10 -0700

Tom,
I've used OD enamel paint with a urethane "satin" gloss clear over the top. This
makes the colour a bit darker and makes the surface cleanable. The clear I used
is "Cabothane" brand "a clear polyurethane interior finish for solid timbers and
veneers". On the can it also states ""excellent resistance to chemicals, oils,
solvents and is recommended for kitchens and areas subject to condensation or
wear and tear". As I couldn't find a flat or satin clear anywhere for outdoor use
other than a 2 pack type (expensive and poisonous and only in gloss) I tried
this stuff even though it states "not for outdoor use" it has survived 5 years
(mostly in the shed!!) so far. If you don't like a particular colour you could
try an auto paint supplier who may be able to suggest what colour/amount to add
to change the shade, be very careful here if you haven't done this before. A
small drop of colour will change a 4 litre tin of paint when mixed in.
Roger ROY
Australia
42 GPW
45 Studebaker 6x6