Re: [MV] CCKW vs. M-135/M-211

T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Thu, 27 May 1999 08:58:43

At 12:13 AM 5/27/99 EDT, RobRatt@aol.com wrote:

>What do I need to look for in a CCKW? Would an M-135/M-211 be a better
>choice?
>
>I need something reliable that will also make it out of flooded areas
>(hurricane season is almost here).
>
>Robert Ratliff

Hello Robert:

The closest I have is a DUKW, sort of a CCKW.
Am familiar with the M-135/211.
You also mention "hurricane" which also means "much water".

The CCKW uses the 270 GMC engine, but more importantly, not much in the
way of waterproofing. The M135/211 was one of the first upgrades after WWII.

Army jumped into the sealed, waterproofed wiring, ignition systems and at
24 Volt.

The M-135/211 drive train components are also vented to the engine air
cleaner and can be immersed. We are assuming that all seals are in good shape.

The M135/211 uses the 302 GMC motor, same family as the 270 but with a larger
bore and a 2 barrel Holley. More power, but you loose some of it because it
is coupled to a hydramatic 4 speed auto-transmission.

The "M" is more heavily built.

To make it more difficult for you, I like both... go figure.
If water is the concern, then M135/211.

Ted H.