Re: [MV] OD paint

Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Fri, 28 May 1999 22:17:07 +1000 (EST)

Tom said:
> I have tried Aervoe paint 34087 and it is a little light in color (WWII). I
> still have original green inside my glovebox and, yes, it probably has
> changed a bit over the years but it is definately deeper green. Friends have
> found the same thing.
> I want to repaint my entire vehicle and achieve 2 goals. 1) I want the right
> color. 2) I want a slight slight gloss so that the paint won't soak up oils
> or hand prints.

Tom,
Here's a hypothetical: You've been teleported back in time to WW2. You
find yourself at a QM depot, and in charge of a bunch of military vehicles.
There's a few gallons of OD paint around the base, and you've been ordered
to do some painting. Do you start arguing, or even start *wondering* if
the paint is the correct shade of OD? Of khaki? Of a matt green-brown?
That it's satin rather than matt? I would think not. You'd just slap it on.

A while back, someone asked a question on rec.models.scale about what shade
of OD their jeep model should be painted. I posted a reply: any darn shade
of OD you have in your paintbox. Whatever it was, it would have been a
perfect match to at least *one* of the 650,000 jeeps out there. And jeeps
weren't even the most numerous of WW2 vehicles. Paints have different
consistencies, some are more flat than others, and the effects of sun and
weather also play a part, as OD fades and gathers dust and dirt.

So, for your question #1, if it was me: any shade of OD that I liked!
As for #2, I use Baby Oil, it gives a nice satin sheen that toughens the OD.

Just my 5 cents worth,

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au