Re: [MV] List topics ?

Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 13:59:42 -0500

William R. Benson wrote:

>The only other rule of thumb you might want to consider is perhaps that
>this is the forum where we're figuring out how to get them running, not
>conducting research as to whether they existed. Here's where you don't
>ask, "Was there a German Jagpanzer type fourteen used in Korea?" but
>rather, "I've got this big ol' hunk o' armor in my back forty, jest
>figgered out what it was... Anybody know where you can get a spare track
>for a Maus?"

William, (and all the others who answered me)

I now understand better the objection made, and the reason of my early
incomprehension; to me, "Chenillettes d'infanterie" are slightly unusual,
but not completely unfamiliar; I have a number of friens who own one, and
brought them to MV outings, I almost bought one in 1972, for the equivalent
of 90 US$, complete with registration papers as "agricultural tractor" !

I have ridden one on occasion, and would say that while less common than
the ubiquitous Jeeps and K=FCbelwagens, thay are about as rare in France as
the Schwimmwagen.

Of course, they are a lot more difficult to bring out: with all-metal
tracks, they are banned from public hard-surfaced roads, and must be
brought on a trailer, and only used off-road.

Now, I only regret I answered off-list ;-(

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, in Darkest Paraguay.

Have you ever imagined a world
with no hypothetical situations?