Re: Re(2): [MV] Mattracks/Land Rover

Johan Helsingius (Johan.Helsingius@EU.net)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:32:35 +0200

At 17:56 13/06/99 +0100, Gordon.W.I. McMillan wrote:

>The end result was that although the track units were removable in theory,
>it took so much work that it was easier to tow them around on a trailer
>and just use them 'as is'.

Having looked at the track system, I'm sure that that's true. But at
least it had the capability to convert to wheels if needed. Especially
if you ask the marketing department.

>Don't know about the sales of them, but I
>suspect few went to anywhere other than the Ministry of Defence, as they
>were primarily aimed at air crash rescue and the like.

I think some of them even went into civilian hands (maintaining boglands etc.).
There's one as part of the Dunsfold collection (it was at the Land Rover
Owner Show in Billing last year), and another one at the Museum of Military
Transport at Beverley.

Julf