Re: [MV] Postal jeeps and the US Army

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:39:37 +0100

Steve L Dussetschleger wrote:

> MOST of the DJ-5's I'm familiar with are of the ex-postal property
> type. Right hand drive, 2 WD, hard-top with sliding doors on both sides
> and a large cargo door on the rear. Most plentiful and available for
> about $200-$1,000 are the ones with the 6 cylinder in line engine (ford
> 232 ci, I believe), and automatic transmission. I recently sold 3 of
> that variation and purchased a newer '85 model with a 4 cyl. motor
> forwork (rural carrier).
> About a couple months ago a co-worker told me of a green jeep behind
> someones house. Upon checking it out I was amazed to discoer it to also
> be a DJ-5, but left hand drive, and not a hard top. All correct else
> (2WD, auto transmission, etc.). Maybe this is a type the military one is
> too. What does the book advise it was used for ? Steve

Jane's says:

"designed for use in area's where little or no cross country capability
is required. Typical roles include staff communications, military
police, carrying light supplies, light maintenance and logistical
support"

They seem to be left hand drive with hard top.

I'll send an image out if anyone wants one.

TTFN
Jim
Honorary Secretary