Re: [MV] 41 GP Prototype?

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@wxs.nl)
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 01:17:19 +0200

Frances/Steve Smith wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Just picked up some info on a 41 GP for sale but need your help in
> determining if this might worth the thousand dollar asking price. The
> fellow who's selling it says it's a protoype GP. The serial # is 14481
> and the date of delivery was 9/23/41. The engine is supposed to be in
> good shape as is all of the running gear. The body is pretty well
> thrashed though. There are many F parts and Ford in raised letters on
> the back of the tub.
>
> I've been into Dodges for some years and am rather uninformed on Jeeps
> so would appreciate any help that you all might be able to give me.

The Ford GP is a prototype-series Jeep made by Ford to compete with the
Willy's MA and the Bantam BRC for the Army contract in which the Willy's
got the contract.
Ford made about 4500 GP's??. A good GP is worth (in Europe) between
$12000 and $15000, even more for an excellent example. The chassis number
and delivery-date sound o.k., also the "Ford" script rear but as far as I
know
they didn't put many "F" parts in it, they started doing that with the GPW
(I
could be wrong on this one). A $1000 GP couldn't be wrong in my opinion
you can spend some money on restoration, although parts are not easy to
get.

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen The Netherlands