Re: [MV] Silicone brake fluid

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:26:20 -0500

I've got an M51 that was converted to Silicone some time ago by the
military. Knowing the pain of shelling out $25/qt for Silicone, I don't
see why you guys don't take some of the suggestions that have been made
on this list and put them together.

For instance, someone suggested using a pump up lawn and garden sprayer
to pressure bleed brakes. (That's a great idea!) Why not spend an
hour making an adapter from the garden sprayer hose, hook it up to your
brake system, (a cap bolted/clamped over the master cylinder) and pump a
couple of gallons of ethanol through the brake system with all of the
bleed screws open. That should get rid of just about all of the DOT 3
stuff, then hook up your air compressor to the same fitting and blow out
remainder of the Alcohol. That should make the interior of the brake
system plenty clean plus Alcohol free with all of that air blowing
through it and drying it. Then loadup the the garden sprayer with
Silicone and pressure bleed everything. That way you get the Alcohol
out of the system and you are set. I can't imagine dumping a gallon or
so of perfectly good Silicone at $100/gal through the brake system just
to clean it out.

Dave