Re: [MV] Insurance on an M35A2

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:58:10 -0500

Rich,

An M35A2 shouldn't be too difficult to insure since it's GVW is below
the CDL limit of 26,000 lbs. Try an agent who handles Farm Bureau
insurance. Then tell them you want to use it in a very limited fashion
(more or less an RV) and ask them about "Farm coverage". I used to
have AAA coverage in Michigan and although they are pretty good regarding
claims they don't go much above pickup trucks.

I tried State Farm and ironically they don't want to cover "farm" type
vehicles, they want to consider them as commercial vehicles which for my
M51 5 Ton was about $800/yr in rural Indiana. I had Farm Bureau
Insurance but I just got notice that they don't want to keep my vehicle
as an RV type vehicle, but want to write a small commerical policy for
it. My agent hooked me up with a small commercial underwriter who I'm
getting in contact with. Supposidly this other company is very
reasonable. We'll see.

I use the M51 5 Ton dump only infrequently at best but loaded I have had
it close to 45,000 lbs with a full load of rock.

BTW, my M51 dump has historical plates also, since the Indiana BMV didn't
know how to handle a Military vehicle registration, even though they have
special legal code just for MVs. So they gave me historical plates and
charged me $35 for them.

The JC Taylor guys scare me. Has anyone really had a claim with JC
Taylor before?? For what they charge for insurance I wonder how many
claims they protest.

Dave Cole