Re: [MV] 24 Volt System

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:33:43 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Baker <majoruscavalry@yahoo.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 09 July 1999 05:17
Subject: Re: [MV] 24 Volt System

>The 24 volt solution is not only limited to US
>Vehicles..

Major Baker is quite right, in fact not only the Mil but domestically Europe
went to 24V for everything just about, that had a payload of over 1 ton.

>Both of the German MVs that I have owned had 24 volt
>systems ('60 Unimog and a '59 Munga).

That would be absolutely par for the course, the Mil did/does use domestic
vehicles like cars but anything in the FV or "truck" category would be 24V
throughout as far back as the mid 50's probably.

>Also you will find some 24 volt solutions in limited
>service in the civilain world usually in difficult
>environmental applications.

24V systems are absolutely standard here on all heavier vehicles and it includes
the lighting, we are, if anything, bemused by the current US practice in large
trucks of 24V start and 12V lighting/ancillaries. Bulbs etc., are straight off
the shelf items in 24V, even the UK Mil has had 24V Land Rovers since way back,
they are though sort of "domestic/FV" things.

Richard
(Southampton UK)