Re: [MV] 24 Volt System

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:00:27 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Burke <julianb@esper.com>
To: Military Chat Group <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 08 July 1999 21:27
Subject: [MV] 24 Volt System

>OK Folks, I just saw an item that isn't true and can't stay silent on this
>one! There is a very good reason that 24 volt systems are used. Totally
>forget the notion that the Gov't used it because it was "odd". . . . . . . .

>. . . . . . . . . . . . .Now, I don't want to hear any more
>talk about the Gov't using this system because it was "odd". This was NEVER
>an issue when specs were being written. Performance was!

Thank heavens, saved me ages of typing.

It is often overlooked that for instance 100 watts of power is 100 amps at 1
volt, 100 volts at 1 amp or indeed 1000 volts at 0.1 amp, the cable for the
former is bigger than on your average arc welder whereas the latter is tiny.

The mil had enough of iffy W.W.II electrics and especially starting some of the
earlier trucks on inadequate 6V systems, NATO standardised on 24V post war
anyway for fighting vehicles.

Richard
(Southampton UK)