RE: [MV] 12V - 24V - 36V

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:33:47 -0500

>. Can someone more
>electricly inclined than I explain why some mil equipment some as missile
>systems and sonar systems run at 400HZ / rather than 60HZ?

For inductive components (transformers, motors, etc.) the higher the
frequency (within reason else other problems crop up) the smaller the device
to achieve the same end goal. Why 400Hz in particular was standardised on
I'm not sure but the reason for the high frequency is weight and size
reduction of the components. The avionics systems I was involved with all
ran on 120VAC 400Hz 3 Phase-Y and 28DC, which I think is pretty typical of
aircraft stuff in general??

je