Re: [MV] 24 Volt System

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:39:45 -0500

>I do plan on keeping the electrical system original (24 volt), but not
>too many electrical accessories are 24VDC. Should I use a converter to
>step-down the voltage to 12VDC? I have heard of some people who tap the
>voltage between the batteries to get their 12VDC.

If your not particularly handly with electronics then just by the little
converter. Somebody mentioned one and gave a web site address on this list
within the last year I think. Otherwise you can string 20 silicon diodes in
series between the 24V + terminal and the 12V device (forward biased of course).

> I believe that you
>might have a problem with the batteries when doing this. Let me know if
>I am wrong (I know you will), but I believe if you tap into the system
>like that you will soon have a dead battery (cell) due to improper
>charging (unbalanced)

More likely you will boil the water out of the 'top' battery due to the
imbalance in the loading of the two.

je