Re: [MV] 12V - 24V - 36V

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:49:24 -0500

>. The only problem with these alternators is that you usually
>>need a higher rpm to get them to flash over and start. This can be a problem
>>with older mv's.

I put a new alternator on my fork truck and my rebuilder guy sold me one of
these 'one wire wonders', ussally I use big Leece-Nevilles on everythig but
it wasn't warranted here. When you start the engine (the old reliable 162
cuin Continental flat head) the alternator is dead. All it takes is a
slight goose of the throttle to start charging which can be noted on both
the voltmeter and ammeter. The speed to do this is not much more than a
fast idle and ussually is not even noticed by the operator. I asked what
the big deal was with a one wire alternator and the only answer seemed to be
that most people are afraid of wiring and this is easier for most people to
wire in. For my money, I'll stick with the other method, that being a large
wire to the battery and a small one to the ignition circuit, doesn't seem
that hard to me!

je