Re: [MV] 12V - 24V - 36V

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:21:34 -0500

>one wire delco alternators do not start charging because of the engine
>running !!
>'one' wire goes from the ignition switch, through the charge lamp to the
>alt. when you turn on the key,

I think your not understanding the term 'one wire alternator'. They are
altered internally such that the only connection is the heavy wire to the
battery (and of course the case ground). The situation you just described
above would be a 2 wire unit, a heavy one the battery and a light one to the
ignition circuit.

Personally I prefer the 2 wire setup as there is another disadvantage to the
one wire units that I forgot to mention in my post this morning. That being
that there is a very small current draw all the time. With a good battery I
can leave the truck sit for a month or more and never notice the drop, but
when the battery was marginal, it would go dead in a few weeks from that alone.

je