Re: [MV] armored police vehciles \was moron alert

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:10:15 -0500

>The LAPD has 2 V100 armored cars in its inventory. They were used at the
>end of the North Hollywood shoot out. I remember seeing aerial footage
>of one ramming a garage where a suspect was thought to be hiding.
>
>With the draw down of US forces many Peacekeepers, V100's, V150's,
>Dragoons and the odd M113 have been transferred to any police department
>that wants one. Problem seems to be that there are not enough for all
>the departments that want them.

It's nice to see armor getting out into civy hands as maybe down the road
the police agencies would sell it off, but I don't approve of the police
using this kind of equipment and the behavior that goes with it. As Senator
Grassly from Iowa said during the Ruby Ridge hearings, the problem here is
the militarisation (sp?) of law enforcement. I do beleive that line that
used to be there (between military and law enforcement) is gone, and I
don't like it.

je