Re: [MV] Sherman Tank Markings

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:38:58 +0100

Jack McDermott wrote:

> I am helping to restore a Sherman Tank at Norwich University. We want to
> have the tanks marking reflect a Norwich Graduate who fought with the 2nd
> Armored Division in W.W.II and won the Medal of Honor.
>
> I am getting more data on his actual unit. My question is what are the
> official markings, what do they consist of and where do they go, etc., etc..

You will certainly need a bit more information about the unit to get a
complete UIN. The 2nd Armoured Division was a 'heavy' division and
consisted of 66th and 67th Armoured and 41st Armoured Infantry
regiments.

You will need to find out his regiment, company and platoon. Then you
will end up with something like this

1A - 2[triangle] - [regimental number][triangle] - [company][vehicle
number]

TTFN
Jim
Honorary Secretary